Friday, November 2, 2012

Little Red

One of my favorite things about Halloween (and any holiday) is trying out new treats to make. And, since I *ahem* recently joined PINTEREST (like everything else, I'm months+ behind the fad), I easily discovered these creative and simple treats:
 
 
 
 
Together, we are . . . Witch hat and broomstick! The Young Women loved them.
 
Thanks, Emily, for showing me the Pinterest-way!
I had hesitated joining because it seemed too crafty-minded, time-consuming, and complicated. But it's actually reduced the time I used to spend "Googling" ideas because I am efficiently directed to all the best ideas.
 
Anyway, ONTO HALLOWEEN!
 
From the moment (in September) that I found this Little Red Riding Hood costume at Target, I just knew it had to be mine . . . err, Aiyas -- and so began the creation of this year's family Halloween costume:
 
 
Little Red, the Wolf who eats G'ma and dresses in her clothing, and the Lumberjack who saves the day!
 
 
 
And just to be funny . . .
 
I was trying to to get a picture of her holding the axe in one hand, and the basket with the wolf's head in the other (saw it as a morbid twist to the story when I came across the costume idea), but Aiyana wasn't cooperating.
 
 
We went to our Stake Trunk-Or-Treat (which I didn't love was on Halloween night) and checked that out for 40 minutes or so. It was too big. We saw a handful of our ward friends and there was chili and scones . . . but not really that fun, to be honest. Dan and I just wanted to take Aiyana trick o' treating the good ol' fashion way. So back to our neighborhood we went!
 
We began in our caul-di-sac and pointed Aiyana in the right direction, but we more or less had to chase her down and bring her to the first two doors. She didn't want to carry her empty white basket and didn't quite understand what we were doing. And then, after the first two rounds, something just clicked.
 
 
And my little "Puss in Boots" in disguise worked the magic in those big blue eyes and sweet face. My heart melts every time I look at her expression -- uncharacteristically shy, yet hopeful.
 
After that, she was charging around, ready to get her candy. Poor thing didn't even eat dinner. She had sucked on a red lollipop during Trunk Or Treat and munched on choclate the rest of the evening. No complaints thought. She was in heaven.
 
Brittany and Scot accompanied us! It was so fun just walking a couple blocks of our  neighborhood, which is super festive at EVERY holiday. People went all out! It was kind of crazy. This one street just north of ours was entirely blocked off because of its years of popularity. There were a couple haunted houses, someone's back yard with a whole Pirates of the Caribean set up (treasure chets, lights, sand, everything!) and lots of different music playing. Pictures just don't do it justice in the least, but I took a few.
 
 
 
 
 
Back at the house and close to 8:45pm, we decided we better contribute to our neighborhood and finally returned to hand out candy. We sat outside our front door and chatted while eating pizza and a quick birthday celebration for Dan with a 7-layer dip and chips.
 

Sweet-tooth coma
 
 
It was such an enjoyable Halloween night! I realized as I was marveling at the spirit of it all, that this was my first trick or treating experience in the states -- at least that I can remember. I know I went when I was 3 or 4 because I've seen pictures. But I've never experienced a Halloween like this. Living overseas, you could find the right Ex-Pat communities who would give out candy but the decor and enthusiasm could not even compare! And in college and since being married, we just went to dances or gave out a minimal amount of candy. So I think I've found a new love for Halloween here in Las Vegas! Our neighborhood rocks with festivity and community.
 
A short birthday blip for Dan: The Sunday before Halloween, we had the family over and ordered Thai food. It was great hanging out and talking while the kids ran around and played. At Dan's request, I also accepted the challenge of making an ice-cream cake. It turned out great, much to my surprise. I think I give myself very low, non-stressed expectations and then I am highly, pleasantly surprised. That's the way to go! = )
 
 
 
 
I need more pics of these kids together. I can never get good ones of Lila either because she is a busy girl having fun.
 

1 comment:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

I"m so jealous about your awesome community! We should fly to Las Vegas next year for Halloween and visit you guys. Brandon pointed out where we live, way too many families work late into the evening. And culturally, not many people are accustomed to the tradition. So there are A LOT of dead houses and neighborhoods. Weird that they would do trunk or treating at a stake level. I'm glad you left. :) Sounds like an awesome time. Fabulous costumes Erica. The cutest I've seen this year. I love that dan was in a dress, and that you played the boy part.

Post a Comment