My new year’s goal was to potty train Aiya! This started back in January, so a few days past New Year's, we buckled down, prepared to stay home for the next few days
as much as possible. I put cute new underwear on Aiyana (My Little Ponies and
Princess Sophia by request) and she ran around half-dressed for the first part
of the day. I pumped her full of drinks so she would have a full bladder.
However, this only resulted in three accidents in her underwear.
The first accident was so funny! She was playing in the living room when all of a sudden she stopped and I noticed she was wetting the floor. "Uh oh...What happened??" she asked, full of concern as she looked down at her legs! So cute.
Of course, in the moment, I grabbed her and tried to rush her to the toilet to finish up peeing. This only resulted in me stabbing her foot into the toilet first. It was a mess and big time fail! haha So then I took off her underwear and let her run around naked. I kept asking her, "Do you need to go chee-chee? Let Mommy know if you need to go chee-chee." Without her underwear on, Aiya really seemed to get it. I watched for the pee-dance signs and kept plopping her on the toilet until finally she let out a little trickle and it was a huge celebration!
I have the cutest video of her talking about it, which I happily sent to Dan. Easiest potty-trainer ever!
Pooping was a different story. We went a couple times here and there but for the most part, pooping was a huge anxiety-ridden issue! She would hold it for days, if not a week, and just cry and cry if we put her on the toilet. She exhibited a lot of fear and anxiety over it, so I kept putting a diaper on her in the end, not wanting to traumatize her. But as she neared three years old, I wondered if I was just enabling a bad habit! But it gave ME so much anxiety, watching her hold it, even though it was so painfully obvious she needed to go. That girl has got some self-control!
But in mid June, she just started going on her own! I'm glad I waited until she was ready and didn't push her through the pooping process (like I stood a chance anyway against her stubborn will!). I'm so proud of her! Now she will totally just go on her own and announce it so proudly. "I did it! Mommy, I went poop!" (yeah, I know she will love these stories later.)
Great job, Aiya. We are proud of all these milestones as you grow up!
No comments:
Post a Comment