Sunday, August 2, 2015

Logan is Five Months

At five months, I almost feel like I have a newborn again. Logan refuses to stay asleep in his own bed and has hijacked his way between Dan and me. That, and we are having major sleep issues with Aiya (but that's for another post) so we're pretty tired as parents all around from the multiple wakings. I do love to snuggle with Logan. Just like when I was pregnant with him, he doesn't move around much, which is one reason I feel semi-OK that he's sleeping next to me; he's not rolling in his sleep yet. However, I sleep a little anxiously, fearful of anything bad happening to him. I've had a number of experiences already when I wake up confused, trying to remember where he is--next to me, in his rocker, or like last night, "Who is cradled in my arms?" He felt too big to be Logan, and for one sleepy, confused moment I thought it was Aaron! Silly, sleepy me.

But yeah... sleep. He's kind of in between not ready to sleep in the crib yet but outgrowing the inclined Rock 'n Play we've used all these months and love. I'm still trying to keep him in that for now, but so far, he snoozes best right next to me. Cute little stinker. He loves being right next to me, and I wonder if it's because I've carried him around in the ergo baby carrier more than any of my kids, purely out of necessity! He's so easy on errands when I strap him against me. Usually he'll fall asleep, or else he'll just look around, calm as can be. Love and appreciate that so much, especially since Aiya and Aaron are full of energy and often fighting or demanding my attention in other ways.










Highlights
  • Logan rolled onto his tummy at 4.5 months. I was a little more lazy about starting tummy time, so that didn't happen as often until 4 months. But it helped Logan get the rolling thing down pretty soon afterwards. He's only rolled from tummy to back once though.
  • Last month there was a lot of sucking on his hand and chomping. I was certain teeth were coming, and when I was in West Virginia visiting Jen, the tiniest pin-head of a tooth poked through! But I'd say five months is when his first two teeth broke through simultaneously. Ouch, poor kid! He's been visibly miserably for a portion of each day where you can just tell his mouth is killing him. He's reacted stronger than any of the other kids to teething. It really hurts him. = (
  •  I'm hoping teething is the real culprit to his temperament because seriously, this kid's temper has gone into overdrive! He reminds me a lot of Aiya as a baby, actually: generally pretty easy going and happy. But when he's upset (namely when we're trying to put him down for bedtime or he's woken from a trial period in his crib) he just explodes! In fact, I'd say he's the loudest, angriest baby out of the four when he chooses to be. I'm so glad he's mostly a chill little baby!
  • Thankfully, still loves to play on his back on those play mats. He does not like the bumbo for more than a few minutes and always tries to twist out of it. There's a walker with a few toys that keeps him entertained for a bit, but I'm realizing he just does not like to be contained. He'd much rather lay on the floor with freedom to move around. It's cute how he uses his feet to push against the arches of the play mat until he loses contact and it springs towards him. He seems to do it intentionally, so I think he likes how it makes the toys shake and rattle.
  • He's starting to "sing" as I call it, where he's babbling and then just holds a note. 
  • Tried a few baby foods. He liked sweet potato and banana, but then suddenly was very mad when I tried to give him anything else, even fruit (which I was trying hard to make him eat because he was so constipated.) Going to take a break on foods for a few weeks. 
  • His daily routine... has fallen to the wayside! I'm trying, trying hard. But it's true what they say about the third child with interrupted naps and lack of routine. Too much else going on with the other two or necessary errands, etc. I'm trying to reinstate it though. I really need to figure out the best time to do naps, but Aiya going to preschool in the afternoon twice a week is going to complicate things. I really don't mind if naps aren't nailed down as precisely as I was able to schedule with Aiya and Aaron, as long as he sleeps! Trial and error with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment